Thursday, March 9, 2017

Smoking Cheese / Cobb Grill

This little cheese smoke was done on my Cobb Premier Charcoal Grill. Was a challenge  to keep a small fire burning hot enough in the small confined area to keep a piece of smoke wood burning without heating the cooker up to my top temperature of about 80 degrees which is my top limit for this task. The ambient temperature during this cook was about 32 degrees which also helped with the cook.

 photo IMG_0284.jpg

My cheese for this smoke was the following: 

1 lb Extra Sharp Cheddar
1 lb Colby Jack
1/2 lb Hot Pepper Cheese

To prep the cheese, I cut the blocks into smaller rectangular square lengths which works best for this task. 

 photo IMG_0286.jpg

I started by heating up a few all hardwood charcoal briquets in a chimney and placing 3 of them in my charcoal basket and and then laying a big piece of hickory on top of the hot charcoal. 

 photo IMG_0287.jpg

I added the standard cooking grate, a raised cooling rack, and then a large pan of ice to help keep the cooker cool enough for this smoke. 

 photo IMG_0290.jpg

Next step was to add my two dome extensions and then the BBQ grate with the roast rack and my cheese. 

 photo IMG_0289.jpg

The little grill doing it’s thing..the smoke took about 85 minutes to complete. 

 photo IMG_0293.jpg

 photo IMG_0291.jpg


The results of my cook / smoke. Sure beats that old store bought smoked cheese that hasn’t even been close to any smoke and is done with chemicals. 

1 comment:

  1. Can you please supply details and sizes of the cooking grate and raised cooling rack?
    Many thanks.
    David

    ReplyDelete