Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chicken Little / Hasty Bake

I like using a standard rotisserie setup on my Hasty Bake Gourmet cooker and this is a cook using my non-standard EZ-Que rotisserie unit which I have adapted to several cookers. It’s kinda a work in process on this cooker as EZ-Que has gone out of business so I can’t get any parts to match it to this great cooker.



This is also a low-carb cook and will consist of a couple of Cornish Hens which will be brined in a honey brine which is sitting behind the hens in the half gallon jug.

I will grill some low-carb veggies which I have marinaded in my own no carb marinade which is in the bowl behind the veggies.

The other item I will be cooking is a can of Spam which is not shown in the picture.



I gotta thank Jeanie at Cowgirls Country Blog for the idea for this picture. Every time I see it, it cracks me up.

Anyway, I let the girls hang out a bit with their feet in the liquid before I dropped them down into the brine pot.



I brined the hens for about 2-1/2 hours.



About 5 hours before the fire, I put the veggies into my marinade and then back into the fridge. The veggies consisted of some celery, carrots, mushrooms, plum tomatoes, bell pepper, green onions, and garlic.



I got the cooker fired up and started bringing it up to temp.

After the hens came out of the brine, I washed them off good. I placed some onions, celery, and garlic inside the hens. I then placed some rosemary and bay leaves under the breast skin. I added a light sprinkle of my no carb rub and placed them into my EZ-Que cradle.



I installed the cradle into the cooker and turned it loose. I also added the Spam which is not shown in the picture.



Time to just let the cooker do its thing.



Took them veggies straight out of the marinade and placed them on the direct part of the cooker. Kinda let them char up a little and I must have eaten half of them during the cooking process. Man, were they good.

I cooked the hens to about 165 internal and pulled them off the cooker. I then plated it up for presentation to Mommy since it is her birthday meal.




Shazaaaam...that looks great!



I split those hens right down the middle into two pieces.




I got it plated up and added a scoop of cottage cheese and gave it to Jan. Her total meal is less than 2 grams of carbs.

What did I eat you might ask...




Look at the great crust I put on that block of Spam. Just add a little mustard and horseradish and I am ready for my meal.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking meal for each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking birds!

    You have reminded me, I have got to rig my rotisserie for my new grill.

    ReplyDelete