Tuesday, June 18, 2013

State Fair Porkburgers

One of the best bargains in meat right now is the Pork Butt and in most areas, it can be purchased for about $1.19 to $1.29 a pound. There are many things a fellow can do with this great piece of meat. From just plain pulled pork, to sliced pork, to may kinds of jerked pork, to Western or country ribs, and more. Then it can also be ground and this opens up many new possibilities. Breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, many kinds of stuffed link sausage, and a couple of my favorites are the State Fair Pork-burgers and Bratwurst sandwich patties. 

 photo DSC01754.jpg

I start by getting the grinder out and set it up for my pork. 

 photo DSC01755.jpg

I then cut up about 16-1/2 pounds of pork from a couple of pork butts into some big strips that will fit the grinder. 

 photo DSC01756.jpg

Run it thru the grinder along with some thick cut smoked bacon.

Once my meat is ground, I then mix in some crushed garlic, some Worcestershire sauce, a little dried basil, a little diced onion, a pinch or two of seasoning, and some Lipton dry onion soup mix. This will be some fine tasting Pork-burger. 


 photo DSC01757.jpg

This is my 16 pounds of Pork-burger meat ready to be made into patties or frozen in 2 pound packages for later use. 

 photo DSC01760.jpg

Rolled my little Char-Broil 500X out to the cooking patio and fired it up with some lump charcoal. I set the cooker up with the right side direct and the left side indirect for this cook. I like to sear stuff at the tip of an open charcoal or wood flame for a few minutes on each side and then finish up on the indirect side of the cooker.

 photo DSC01758.jpg

Along with my Pork-burgers, I had some other items to cook and I started out with 10 one quarter pound thick burgers.

 photo DSC01759.jpg

Next up was the 1/3rd pound Pork-burgers.

 photo DSC01761.jpg

Also did 4 of those huge skin on bone in chicken breasts. 

 photo DSC01763.jpg

Had the fire going so might as well do some dogs. 

 photo DSC01767.jpg

Chicken looked good coming off the cooker.

 photo DSC01762.jpg

Cooked the big pork burgers to about 160 degrees internal and they are ready for the sandwich. 

 photo DSC01764.jpg

The sandwich served at the State Fair has a steamed bun and they do not dress the sandwich except for a slice of dill pickle. I like to spread on a light layer of Miracle Whip, the add some lettuce, tomato, thin slice of onion or serve with green onions. 

 photo DSC01765.jpg

I am just not sure there is a better sandwich out there!! Juicy, flavorful, make you want to throw rocks at a standard burger sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment