Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Working my Mushroom Dogs

I have had a couple of successful outings with my three mushroom dogs this spring and I will tell you about one of my adventures into the woods for this wonderful treat.

Loaded the dogs up and headed to the woods yesterday to see if we could find a batch of mushrooms. I hadn’t had my mushroom dogs out over the Winter for much additional training so I wasn’t sure just how well they would do on this first outing. 

 photo 46BMushroomDogs.jpg

They certainly were ready to go and took off on the hunt before I could even get a beer opened. In a few minutes, Herman started barking and I knew he was on to a patch of these wonderful delights. I got to him and picked up a couple of the small grey sponge mushrooms that were kinda dried out. By now my other two dogs were barking and both of them were onto some of the bigger yellow sponges. By the time I got these picked, this old fellow was tired so we quit for the day. We did have enough for a couple of breakfasts. 

 photo DSC01723.jpg

 photo DSC01722.jpg

 photo DSC01724.jpg

It wasn’t a big batch but some of them were quite large. It hasn’t been a very good year in my area for mushrooms.

Jan got the mushrooms cleaned and sliced up and put into a salt water filled bowl and then they went into the fridge for their overnight stay. 


 photo DSC01725.jpg

Got the mushrooms out this morning and rinsed and dried them off and they were ready to be breaded and fried.

 photo DSC01727.jpg

Used a egg and milk wash and then flopped them around in a mixture of flour and cornmeal with salt and pepper. 

 photo DSC01729.jpg

They did fill two large oval plates after the breading.

 photo DSC01731.jpg

Got a black iron skillet hot and fried this treat up and got them ready for our breakfast.

 photo DSC01732.jpg

 photo DSC01733.jpg

I fried up and egg and then some hot spicy breakfast sausage and along with a piece of toast, got ready to eat this wonderful breakfast. 

 photo DSC01734.jpg

 photo DSC01735.jpg

Jan ate hers straight up with nothing but the mushrooms for her breakfast.

It just doesn’t get any better than this!!


Had the dogs out again and did find another batch of these wonderful morsels. My point dog did need some additional work as he sure gets lazy over the Winter....kinda like his master!

 photo DSC01783.jpg

Got them cleaned and into some salt water for their overnight stay.

 photo DSC01784.jpg

Got them breaded and ready for the black iron skillet.

 photo DSC01785.jpg

Looking good...

 photo DSC01786.jpg

Most likely my last batch of the year as season is about over. 

 photo DSC01787.jpg

This is one great breakfast. 


No comments:

Post a Comment