Sunday, September 17, 2017

Turkey Breast on my Hasty-Bake Ranger Rotisserie

This was just my second cook on my new Hasty-Bake Ranger which is one of their two tailgate size cookers. The Ranger is the nicer of the two models and is all Stainless Steel and is one of the reasons that makes it a great little cooker / grill. 

 photo IMG_0860.jpg

Ok, I didn’t figure that there was any good way to install a rotisserie in this little cooker as there were handles on both sides, the charcoal door on the right side, and the exhaust vent on the left side which all were in the way of any type of good method of installing the rotisserie unit. I had about given up on this project and was cutting up a stainless steel rack to go in my charcoal pan to help prevent the small pieces of lump from falling thru and it “hit me up the side of the head”, why couldn’t a fellow install a rotisserie from front to back in the cooker? I measured it all up and by golly, I think I could do it! 

 photo IMG_0861.jpg

Had to order a couple of items but I got it all setup and then cut down a new rack or cooking grid to fit on the remaining space on the cooker and was ready to try it out. I needed the grid to be able to both use the rotisserie and the grid at the same time. Really made a nice modification to this grill. 

 photo IMG_0866.jpg

Beautiful cool morning for the cook and I got it started early in the morning. 

 photo IMG_0869.jpg

The turkey just before it came off of the rotisserie and it came out a little darker than I expected so I will need to lower the temperature a little on the next cook but overall, I was well pleased with this part of the cook. The skin was perfect! 

 photo IMG_0870.jpg

Pulled the turkey breast and the rotisserie setup and put the cooker back together and then added my raised second grate and put my sides on the cooker. I had a pan of new potatoes with green beans, onions, and bacon, a pan of cornbread stuffing, a bowl of gravy, and on my raised grate, a pan of yeast rolls. 

 photo IMG_0872.jpg

Didn’t take very long to get the sides done as they just needed heated up to a safe temperature. 

 photo IMG_0873.jpg

 photo IMG_0874.jpg

 photo IMG_0875.jpg

The results of my cook. 

 photo IMG_0876.jpg

 photo IMG_0877.jpg

 photo IMG_0878.jpg

It all came out great and the rotisserie mod worked out well. 


I think I know where my Thanksgiving meal will be cooked this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment