Wednesday, February 28, 2018

EZ Corned and Pastramied Beef Brisket on the GM Daniel Boone

 photo IMG_1223.jpg

My first sandwich is made on toasted rye bread and then I added a generous amount of the pastramied beef brisket, three slices of baby Swiss cheese, and a big helping of horseradish sauce. This is probably my most favorite sandwich.

 photo IMG_1183.jpg

My local Kroger store had some Corned Beef Brisket Flats on sale so I purchased 4 of them for my treat. Got home and found out that they were the points which is about too fatty for good pastramied brisket. Took them back and they called another Kroger store in the next town and found me some flats. Wife picked them up and when I opened them up, I found whole briskets that had been cut in half diagonally. Man, I can’t win!

Anyway, I started with the 4 purchased corned beef brisket halves  and then trimmed them up of most of their fat.

 photo IMG_1184.jpg

The cuts of meat were not as good as I usually get but I will make them work. Had to cut off way too much fat with these lousy briskets.

 photo IMG_1185.jpg

Since the purchased corned beef brisket is bathing in salt water and brine, which will work great for something like corn beef and cabbage but not good for making into pastrami, I need to de-salt the meat somewhat for my treat. I do this in this container for about 24 hours changing the water 3-4 times during this period to remove the excess salt.


This is the meat ready to go on the cooker. I piled on a rub consisting of large butcher cut black pepper, coriander, brown sugar, and a few other spices.

 photo IMG_1210.jpg

I loaded my meat into my Green Mountain Daniel Boone and set the cooker for maximum smoke and ran it that way for the first 3 hours and then turned it up to 290 degrees to finish my cook. 

 photo IMG_1216.jpg

I took the meat off of the cooker at an internal of about 185 degrees and it looked pretty good. 

 photo IMG_1217.jpg

Put all the meat thru my slicer.

 photo IMG_1218.jpg

The finished meat looked ok but the slices were not very wide.

 photo IMG_1220.jpg

We kept out enough meat for a couple of sandwiches and then vacuum packed the balance for the freezer.

 photo IMG_1221.jpg

Ready for the freezer.

 photo IMG_1222.jpg

Start of my sandwich on toasted rye bread. 

 photo IMG_1224.jpg

I added a small tomato salad and had a fine lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment