Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Jerky in the Green Mountain Pellet Cooker / Bull Racks

Did this jerky a couple of days ago on a cold morning (22 degrees) in my Daniel Boone pellet cooker using a blend of hardwood Premium heating pellets. The same pellets I have used for the past 15 years for everything I cook in my pellet grills. 

 photo IMG_1114.jpg

This round of jerky was made from a little over 5 pounds of top round which I found on sale last week. I had the meat cutter at the store cut the meat into slices a 1/4” thick and against the grain. For my preparation, I cut every speck of fat I could out of each slice of meat and then cut the pieces into strips about 1 to 1-1/2” wide. 

 photo IMG_1115.jpg

To be sure I got each piece covered well with my marinade, I used the two bowl method to be sure each piece was dipped into the marinade and covered completely.

 photo IMG_1116.jpg]

My favorite marinade for jerky and I use if for most batches is the following. This recipe is for about 4 pounds of meat. 

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper*
2 TBL crushed red pepper flakes*

*I am sure this recipe will be too hot for most folks so do cut back on the hot pepper to suit your taste.

I will sometimes add about a 1/4 cup of Teriyaki sauce to this recipe for one of my Daughters and her family as they like that recipe better. 

I like to have the meat in the marinade for at least 24 hours before the fire and do make it up a few hours before you need it to allow enough time for the sugar to dissolve and the spices to kinda mellow out in the bowl with some stirring once in a while. 

 photo IMG_1118.jpg

I used my “Bull Rack BR6 Ultimate which is The Worlds Best BBQ Rack” as that is what it says on the box. I only needed 4 of the 7 pans that will fit in the rack for this cook. 

 photo IMG_1119.jpg

This picture shows the jerky about 3 hours into my 4 hour cook running 150 degrees in the cooker. 

Now, I have to throw in a couple of plugs for the Green Mountain cookers and the first one is the height inside the cooker is tall enough for many different applications including this very nice tall rack system. I also run rotisseries including the Rib-O-Lator which requires a lot of height. 

Another nice feature is the PID digital controller which will operate between 150 degrees to a top of 500 degrees. The lower temperature of 150 degrees is perfect for items like jerky, sausage, vegetables including my hot peppers, and other drying or low temp smoking with that light hint of wood smoke flavor which makes the items better tasting in most treats. 

 photo IMG_1120.jpg


Came out great and will be in the mail in time for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment