Saturday, October 11, 2014

Hot-n-Spicey BBQ Beef in a Camp Oven

I did this cook in my Camp Chef Yellowstone National Park 12 inch in diameter deep camp oven.

 photo DSC02466.jpg

I started with a 2.45 pound USDA Choice Angus Chuck Roast. I trimmed some of the extra fat off of the roast and then got my veggies ready. The veggies consisted of a 1/2 cup each of chopped celery, chopped onions, and chopped bell pepper. 

 photo DSC02467.jpg

I placed the meat and veggies into the pot and added about one quart of water and got the level up to about  where it just barely covered the roast. 

 photo DSC02468.jpg

Placed the lid on the pot and carried it out to my table and set it on about 11 hot brickettes. 

 photo DSC02469.jpg

I then added about 19 more brickettes to the top of the oven and got the cook started. This should give me about 375 degrees in the oven if I were cooking something solid but with all the liquid inside on this cook, it can’t get much over boiling temp which is about 212 degrees. 

 photo DSC02470.jpg

This amount of charcoal will last about 45 minutes and will need to be replaced with all new charcoal each 45 minutes thereafter. So I just kept track of my time and at each 35 minute into a charcoal load, I started another 30 brickettes in my charcoal chimney as it takes about 10 minutes to get them ashed over and ready. It took a total of 4 chimneys of fuel and about 3 hours and 15 minutes to get the meat tender or done enough to pull like a pork butt. 

 photo DSC02471.jpg

While the first part of the cook was finishing up, I mixed up my sauce for the beef. The ingredients were as follows:

1-1/2 cups of ketchup
3 tbl taco sauce
2 tbl brown sugar
2 tbl vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp chili powder
1 bay leaf


 photo DSC02473.jpg

I took the beef out of the liquid in the camp oven and shredded it up. 

 photo DSC02475.jpg

I then added the shredded beef and sauce back into the liquid left in the camp oven and fired it up again for one more 45 minute run to finish my cook. 

 photo DSC02477.jpg

I toasted my bun and added a generous amount of the beef on top. Added some fruit and veggies and it was a great meal. 

 photo DSC02478.jpg

I’ll do this one again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment