Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pulled Beef / Backwoods Competitor

I prefer just plain chuck roasts for my pulled beef and it is one of my favorites so we do it often. One of the reasons I like it is due to the lower cost in my area as compared to other cuts of beef. Another thing, the smaller roasts cook quick and of course have more bark. I can usually get them for about $1.69 a pound on sale but a couple of times last year I got them for $.99 a pound.



This cook was about 17 pounds of meat.

I cut all the fat off the outside edges of the meat as I will use the liquid out of the meat and while I need some fat, too much is not good for my method with this meat. I then sprinkle on a light dose of Smokin' Guns hot rub on both sides of the meat. Place it on the cooker and run a standard temp of around 250 degrees measured at the grid and cook them to about 170 internal measured in the thickest part of the meat.



This beef roast cook was part of a larger cook on the Backwoods Competitor.

I then make up a boat out of heavy duty tin foil and place about 1-2oz of apple juice in the bottom of the foil and then sprinkle about 2-3 tsp of Turbinado sugar in the bottom of the boat and place the roast into the boat and wrap it up carefully so that none of the fluid will get out of the meat and place it back on the cooker. This fluid will braise the meat for the balance of the cook and will get it tender enough to pull just like a pork butt. I take these roasts to about 205-210 internal and very carefully pull them off the cooker so I don't lose any of the juice. After resting in a cooler for about two hours, I then unwrap in a large casserole dish so I can keep the fluid. This juice goes into either the freezer if I need it quickly or the fridge if I don't. The fat will congeal on top of the juice and I take it off and use what is left for my meat.



The fat coming off of the juice from the cook.

If I am doing bbq type of sandwiches, I make up a mixture of about 1/3 meat juice, 1/3 Blues Hog sauce, and about 1/3 water. I mix this up in the meat to where it is slightly moist. I then also serve the Blues Hog on the side as well. If I am putting up the meat for salads, casseroles, several Mexican dishes, pizzas or whatever, I just mix the juice only back into the meat as I don't want it to taste too much like bbq. If there is any remaining juice, I use it as soppie for my morning biscuits.

This was the results of the cook before I added any liquid back into the meat. When I freeze it, I add 2 TBL of the meat drippings into the bag first, then about 1 pound of meat on top and vacuum seal it.



There is nothing better for me than a good pulled beef sandwich on a toasted bun with a little of the above blended sauce added into the meat. Of course, it must be served with a cold beer.



Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment