Sunday, February 22, 2009

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Stuffed bell peppers are fairly easy to make and are a great meal on a cooker/smoker. I probably don't make them up the same way twice but all recipes will come out great on the cooker with just that light hint of smoke flavor. I also do a couple of lo-carb recipes with this treat.





The peppers can be cooked in a baking dish or even in a Dutch oven with the lid off.

I usually start out with par-boiling the pepppers for a few minutes.

Ingredients:

Italian sausage
Hamburger
Onions
Mushrooms
Cheese
Garlic
Egg
Italian seasoning or some fresh herbs
Salt
Pepper

And for the fillers if desired, we use either rice, oats, or crackers. Leave this out if you want the treat lo-carb.



You can add some of your favorite spaghetti sauce over the top or if you are low carbing, use my low carb sauce found in my low carb pizza article. (See Table of Contents). I also use some of the sauce in the bottom of the Dutch oven when cooking in this pot.





Place the stuffed peppers on the cooker and cook them with just a small amount of wood for smoke until the internal of the pepper is about 165 degrees. I prefer a cooking temp of about 350 degrees but will also do fine at the lower cooking temps of say about 250 degrees.





Serve them up and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment