Thursday, January 22, 2009

Complete Thanksgiving Dinner on my Backwoods Chubby

I did an interesting cook for Thanksgiving in 2007 on my Backwoods Chubby and it did a nice job for this complete meal.

I did this cook to kinda show the versatility of this slick little cooker. It will just flat do it all well!!

This cook is my herb encrusted pit beef, a 13 pound turkey, a casserole of string beans, baked potatoes, dressing, gravy, and some rolls. All of it was done on the cooker at about the same time on just two shelves. The total cook time was about 3 hours and 20 minutes.



This is a top round roast that weighed about 3-1/2 pounds. The fresh herbs used on the roast were, basil, rosemary, parsley, oregano, and thyme. To this I added 1 TBL fresh ground black pepper, 1 TBL sea salt, about 3-4 TBL extra virgin olive oil, and about 24 cloves of garlic which I ran thru my Suzy. This was made into a kind of paste and applied to the meat.



I packed this paste on the meat heavily and then wrapped it and put it in the fridge overnight.



The turkey was both brined and marinated at the same time overnight in my fridge. I injected Shake's Honey Brine and then placed the turkey in a bag and then poured 32 ozs of Wishbone Robusto Italian dressing over it. It then went into the fridge for about 14 hours. On cooking day, I packed the bird with an onion, carrots, and some celrey. I also rubbed it with Smokin' Guns hot rub and it was ready to go on the cooker.

I fired up the cooker on Ozark Oak lump and used cherry chunks for the smoke wood. I am running a dry water pan with my aluminum foil sheets in the water pan. When the cooker got to about 350 degrees, I loaded both the beef and turkey into the cooker.



It was an overcast day and the cooker just did a fine job and held temp without any adjustments after I got it dailed in.



I kept the temp at about 350 degrees for all but the rolls at the end of the cook and then I raised the temp up to about 425 to finish the rolls.



I then started preparing my sides. I cheated a bit with these beans and rendered out about two 1/4" thick strips of bacon and about 3 ozs of two year old aged country ham in a sauce pan on the stove and then poured it into the casserole on top of the string beans.



I rubbed the potatoes in peanut oil and then sprinkled on some Smokin' Guns hot rub and then placed them on the cooker on the top shelf with the meat.



I then prepped the dressing and got if ready for the cooker.



At this time, my beef was done and the turkey needed some tin foil over the top so it wouldn't get too brown.



I pulled the pit beef off the cooker but did get it slightly overdone but it still came out very good.



I sliced the pit beef real thin for sandwiches.



I got the gravy ready and then placed the dressing, string beans, and the gravy on the cooker.



It just about filled the cooker but it did cook just fine.



The dressing coming off the cooker.



The gravy coming off the cooker. I also pulled the turkey at this point.



The rolls coming off the cooker. These were killer!!



The results of this turkey cook.



The results of the complete cook.

Really hard to beat this nice little cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment